Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Brakes and the weekend

Brakes are a wonderful thing, but not when they wear out (as they did this weekend), and force one to spend $550.00(!) to replace them. As Paula Poundstone put it: "you want new brake shoes, I buy you new brake shoes; you won't wear them."

However...

I got to spend a wonderful weekend with Kathi, my signifcant other (please, somebody come up with a better term than that!), and hang out with all the Ravenslake people (Lake County Illinois) up at Border Skirmish. It wasn't quite the same without Lochlainn around, but we still had a grand old time, and about 75 more people than last year (most of whom stayed friday night). The shire did very well this time around.

Apparently though, earwigs love tent poles, cause when we broke camp we were cleaning out dozens of them: yick! Could be worse I suppose (giant, flesh-eating slugs maybe?).

Anyway, no photos this time. None were taken (of me anyway, which is just as well considering how unphotogenic I am). If photos get published online I'll put a couple on the blog. in the meantime, have a great 4th everyone!!

4 comments:

Stef said...

Sorry about the brakes. Significant other is a lame term. Are you avoiding girlfriend for any particular reason? You could always say "my woman". Or the more formal "my lady friend". Or the more gushy "my sweetheart" (although many would gag at that one). In your case, "the female version of me" would also apply.

Bridgett said...

You know, most people use the term "girlfriend" and everyone knows what that means. It is plain vanilla basic term. Significant other is so pretentious. Remember Miguel's Lisa? When she ws dating Brian? She called him her "S.O." Barf.

Lara C. Coutinho said...

I vote for "girlfriend." I have no idea why you two wouldn't use classic terms by now. Maybe you need a moment or ritual or ceremony or something....

How about the ritual of the little sister saying "Kathi's got a BOYYYYYYYYYYYYFRIEND!!!!" with a snotty little whiny voice? I could do that for ya. Happy to. :)

Elliot said...

To all:

I've never been fond of the term girlfriend because it sounds so bubble-gum teenagerish. Think poodle skirts and malt shops (although I think both of us would go to a malt shop; Crown Candy at least).

Kathi and I are much more serious than that